72 Happy Birthday Wishes & Quotes
Someone’s special day coming up? Our bumper guide birthday wishes and messages might come in handy.
Their big day is here, they’ve done another trip around the sun and now’s the time to celebrate. All you need to do is find the right words to share your joy, but don’t panic – we’re here to help with that. We’ve put together a bumper list to birthday wishes for all sorts of people, plus birthday quotes, poems and our top tips on writing your own messages. Prepare to be inspired.
Funny birthday messages
Amuse them with a joke and share a laugh or two with some of these fun-filled favourites. Our funny birthday wishes are sure to put a smile on their face.
Birthdays are nature’s way of telling us to eat more cake!
Age is a case of mind over matter - if you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter
Oh no, you got old!
- Don’t worry about the future, I’m sure you’ll have a bright one. Don’t worry about the past, you can’t change it. Don’t worry about the present, I don’t have one for you!
- Warning! I think your postman is stealing all the money I put in your cards…
- On your birthday I’m going to share the secret to staying young: lie about your age.
- Don’t worry, at your tender age we won’t do birthday bumps!
Cute birthday messages
Share your adorable side with a cute birthday wish to let them know you are thinking of them. From pet names to cute animal memes, a cute birthday message is always a winner.
Happy birthday to the best person I know.
I’m so happy you were born!
Loads of love my birthday beauty.
- Like a fine wine, or a smelly cheese, you’re only getting better with age. Here’s to many more birthdays together.
- Things that are the best: birthdays, balloons, cake, you.
- If I had the choice we’d celebrate your birthday at least three times a year! Love you, you’re the best.
Romantic birthday messages
Make them feel special a romantic message straight from the heart. Share your intimate side with a carefully crafted message that is sure to sweep them off their feet.
Fish to my chips, salt to my pepper, happy birthday to the one I’ll love forever!
Happy birthday to my lobster, thanks for always being there.
Today is all about you my love, let’s celebrate!
- Roses are red, violets are blue, happy birthday babe, I love you!
- Time for birthday wishes and birthday kisses. Lots of love!
- Getting older doesn’t matter, I love you more every year. Now let’s party!
Can't find the words? A quote is all you need. Here's our collection of best birthday quotes that have stood the test of time.
“When carrying a jar of honey to give to a friend for his birthday, don't stop and eat it along the way.”
“With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come.”
– William Shakespeare
‘Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!’
- Dr. Seuss
‘If life gives you lemons you should make lemonade... and try to find someone whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.’ - Ron White
‘Nature gives you the face you have at twenty, it is up to you to merit the face you have at fifty.’ - Coco Chanel
‘In the end, it’s not the years in your life that count, it’s the life in your years.’ - Abraham Lincoln
‘As you get older, three things happen: the first is your memory goes, and I can’t remember the other two.’ - Norman Wisdom
‘The more sand that has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it.’ - Jean-Paul Sartre
Birthday messages for family
No one knows you like your family. Whether brother, father, mother or sister, our favourite family-inspired birthday messages have all you need to show your appreciation.
Mum, have the mother of all brilliant birthdays! We love you!
To a top dad, have a top day. Many happy returns old man.
Happy birthday to their second favourite. Lots of love from big sis!
- I’m so glad fate made us family, happy birthday brilliant human.
- Relax, bingo is the new rock n roll! Beautiful, talented, clever – of course we’re related! Happy birthday lovely one.
- Without you in my life, I don’t know where I would be today. You taught me all the important lessons: working hard, respecting others, never quitting, and having fun no matter what. I am who I am because of you. On your birthday, I want to thank you for all you have done. Happy birthday, Mum!
- Happy birthday, Mom! I’m so thankful to have you as my mother. There are many children who don’t get along with their parents. I’m incredibly glad I’m not one of them. I truly value my relationship with you and look forward to becoming closer as the years pass.
- Congratulations and good wishes to the woman who has everything — including me!
- Sending you best wishes for success, health, and good fortune today and in the year to come. Enjoy your special day Dad. Happy Birthday!
- Thank you for always being there for me and never giving up on me, Dad. I will always love and appreciate you. You are the greatest Dad in the world. Happy birthday.
- Happy birthday Dad. You make every day a great day. I’m so proud of the thoughtful and wonderful man you are.
For a brother
- You might be older than me but I'm still taller than you! Have a great birthday bro!
- Do you know that in addition to being my brother, you are my best friend? Thanks for always being there for me and having my back. Have a very wonderful birthday brother!
- Despite our many misunderstandings and fights, you know that deep inside we love each other more than anything in this world. Happy birthday to you, my dearest brother.
For a sister
- I got the brains and looks, and you got the...got the...erm...this is awkward...the nicest shoes...yeah that’s it...lovely shoes.
- You’re the most amazing, beautiful and strongest person I’ve ever met. I’m really proud that you’re my sister. Happy birthday!
- You might be older than me but I'm still taller than you! Have a great birthday sis.
Birthday messages for friends
Whether new friend, old friend or best friend, our birthday wishes have all you need to wish them a fun-filled happy birthday.
You drink too much, you swear too much, you have no morals - you’re everything I want in a friend! Happy birthday!
Don’t ever change! Stay as amazing as you are, my friend.
Happy birthday to one of my best friends.
Here’s to another year of laughing at our own jokes and keeping each other sane! Love you and happy birthday!
- You know all about me, I know all about you. We’re best friends, blah, blah, blah. Since we can read each other’s minds I don’t need a creative message, so happy birthday!
- Birthdays come around every year, but friends like you can only be found once in a lifetime. Wishing you a fabulous birthday!
- Hope your birthday is as wonderful and extraordinary as you are bestie, tons of love
Birthday messages for colleagues
Whether they are your desk buddy, manager or associate, here's some of our top tips for birthday wishes to make a colleague feel special.
To my favourite work proximity associate, happy birthday!
How dare you have a birthday, there’s paperwork to do!
Happy birthday desk pal, time for wine?
- Who'd have thought I'd have found my best friend in this place?! Sending you all the love on your birthday, can't wait to celebrate!
- I thank the stars every day that I wasn't sat two chairs down – otherwise who knows if we'd have been friends! Lots of love on your birthday!
- Happy birthday! Even though you make a rubbish cup of tea I couldn't ask for a better work buddy.
Birthday messages for big milestones
For those major milestones and big moments in their life you need a suitably big message. Our favourite milestone messages have all you need to wish them an inspirational birthday whether 18 or 80.
No need to sweet-talk the bouncer any more...you got ID, baby! Happy 18th birthday! Let's go out-out!
21! Officially an adult - or so they say! Happy birthday! Can't wait to celebrate with you this weekend.
Wow, 100 years young! You’re incredible, and we all love you so much.
- You know you've hit 30 when two glasses of wine knock you out. Happy birthday lovely, kitchen disco and bed by 10pm?
- We're officially in our 30s! Time flies when you're having fun! Thank you for being my friend all these years, I feel lucky to be able to celebrate your birthday with you. Here's to many more!
- You looked incredible when we first met and you look incredible now. Happy birthday on your 40th birthday. Can't believe we've put up with each other for so long! Hope you have a wonderful day.
- Doesn't feel like so long ago we were celebrating our 30th birthdays! Happy 40th to you and I hope you have a wonderful day, filled with love and happiness.
- You've aged like a fine wine and I can't wait to celebrate with a bottle or two soon. Happy birthday!
- Happy 50th birthday to a wonderful human and friend! I hope you have an incredible day.
- Our kids are grown up and we are too! How did that happen? Happy 60th birthday to one of my oldest and dearest friends. Sending you lots of love on this special day.
- You don’t look a day over 21. What is this ageing thing about eh? Tons of love on your big day.
Celebrating a birthday from afar
Send them a meaningful birthday message from across the sea. Whether friend, family member or loved one, bridge the gap with our selection of inspirational international birthday wishes.
Sending birthday joy from across the pond!
Toasting to you from over here, happy birthday!
- Wish I could be there to give you birthday bumps, don’t worry I’ll save them up. Tons of love!
- So sorry I’m not celebrating with you today, I’ll make it up to you next time with wine – lots of wine. Happy birthday best one.
- Happy birthday! You might not be near but you’re very dear and can’t wait to celebrate with you soon.
Top tips on writing your own birthday message
Want to wordsmith your own moving or funny birthday message? These tips should help:
- Remember who it’s for – keep in mind your relationship with the birthday boy or gal, this is your chance to show off how well you know them. We like a combo of sentiment and humour, after all it’s time to celebrate.
- Just start writing – if you find yourself bewildered by the blank page, you won’t be the first. Grab a notebook and just start writing what comes into your head, you can perfect it and edit it afterwards.
- Don’t overthink it – you’re not writing a novel or hoping for a Pulitzer, your words don’t need to be genius, they just need to be from the heart. We reckon your special someone will be delighted with most things you write!
- There’s power in simplicity – step away from the thesaurus! Just try expressing how you feel in plain English. Sometimes less is more.