Thank you messages
6th October, 2020
One of the simplest but most appreciated things you can do is say thank you. It doesn't matter how grand the gesture, those two words let the other person know that you appreciate them and all that they've done for you.
Perhaps they've done something incredible, like helping you get on the property ladder or maybe they drove out in the dead of night to pick you up when your car broke down or were simply there for you during a trying time. Whatever it was, they deserve a thank you – and that’s where we come in. We know how hard it is to find the right words sometimes so we’ve put together some top tips plus a bumper list of thank you messages, for everyone from a colleague to your mum.
Tips on what to write in a thank you card
Like any personal message, a thank you message is usually about sharing your feelings rather than attempting to win a Pulitzer, so try and focus on expression your emotions rather than drafting the fanciest prose. Here are top tips on getting across how you feel.
- Be honest! Imagine speaking the words to them and keep your message as close to them as possible.
- Think about how formal it needs to be – a message for your boss will be different from a message to a bestie
- Be specific about what your thanking them for. The personal touches make all the difference, afterall no one likes getting a generic ‘thank you for the gift’ card.
Short thank you messages
Want to keep it short and sweet? Look no further! These thank you messages are ideal for the card that comes with a bouquet or a quick text.
- Thank you for everything!
- Thank you for all that you do, don't know what I'd do without you.
- Ta very much!
- Just a little note to say thank you, you're a star!
- I just wanted to say a quick thank you for everything.
- Here is a HUGE thank you for everything you've done for me.
- I can't say thank you enough for your help and support.
- Cheers for all your help!
- I'm truly humbled and so grateful.
Thank you messages for parents and guardians
Sometimes, we feel like we don't say thank you enough for all that our parents or guardians have done for us. While we've likely had our ups and downs, we still appreciate all that they've given and provided us with.
- Perhaps your mum let you move in to save money to buy a house, or your dad covered the cost of a new washing machine when yours broke down, or maybe your parents took the kids last weekend to give you a break. Whatever miracles they’ve pulled off, here are a few ways to say thank you.
- Words can't express how grateful I am to have you looking out for me. Thank you for everything you've done and more.
- Thank you for [reason]. I don't know what I'd have done without you!
- You've always been there for me and I appreciate you still caring for me now when I need support. Thank you for [reason]. You are so appreciated and loved.
- I couldn't ask for better parents, I love you so much and am so grateful for everything you've done. Thank you.
- I couldn't have done [thing] without your love and support. Thank you for always being there.
Thank you messages for a friend
Good friends are always there when you need them and while they don't expect anything in return for their kindness it's always nice to let them know that you appreciate them. These messages should help you do just that.
- I know that I can always count on you for anything and everything. Thank you for being my friend and for all that you do.
- Thank you for always being there and loving me no matter what. I'm so grateful to have you as a friend.
- Thank you for all your help. I couldn't ask for a better friend.
- We've been through thick and thin and I appreciate all that you do.
- Thank you to the best partner in crime someone could ask for!
Thank you messages for a teacher
It's a sweet tradition to send your child in with a gift at the end of the school year to thank their teacher for all their efforts.
As well as wrapping up a box of chocolates or presenting their teacher with beautiful flowers, you could encourage your little one to write out a special thank you message in a card too. You may also want to include a note from you and your partner if your child has come along leaps and bounds.
Thank you messages from a child to a teacher
- Thank you [teacher name] for being my teacher this year. I liked [subject] the most and will miss [something they'll miss].
- You're the best teacher I've ever had, thank you for teaching me this year!
- I hope you have a lovely summer holiday, thank you for being my teacher.
- Thank you for being an amazing teacher this year and I hope you have a lovely rest over the summer.
Thank you messages from a parent to a teacher
- Thank you for being a positive influence and brilliant teacher to my [child's name]. They've loved their classes this year and I know they'll miss you. Have a lovely break.
- Thank you for supporting [ child's name] throughout this school year, they've loved being part of your class.
- I hope this little offering is enough to say thank you for all the incredible work you've done this year, supporting my [ child's name]. Enjoy your time off and good luck in the future.
Thank you messages for a doctor or nurse
If you've gone through treatment, had a stay in hospital or found support in your local nurse or GP you may want to say thank you.
A card with a kind message is enough or add a big bag of sweets to see them through their next shift! Here are some messages you can consider penning to let them know what an amazing job they're doing.
- Thank you – every one of you – for never giving up on me and getting me through such a tough period of my life.
- Thank you to you and your team for your incredible support and hard work. I literally wouldn’t be here without you!
- Thank you for keeping my [family member] comfortable, safe and for treating them with kindness and dignity during their stay on your ward.
- There are no words big enough to describe how grateful I am for all of you, without your expertise, encouragement and support I’m not sure I’d be where I am now. Thank you for being there every step of the way.
- Thank you for always putting me at ease and holding my hand on those darker days. I have come out stronger on the other side and it’s all because of you. Keep doing what you do.
Thank you messages for hospitality
If you've been offered a bed for the night and warm food in your belly then you'll definitely want to say thank you. While many of us bring a bottle of something or a posh pud, you may also want to leave a thank you note behind to let them know how much you appreciated their hospitality and company. These suggestions should help.
- Thank you for letting me camp in your spare room again – you're always so welcoming and make me feel like family.
- Thanks for having me this weekend – had such a great time!
- Thank you for hosting such an incredible dinner party – I need that recipe! Looking forward to the next one (I'd host but we'd have to get takeaway because I'm a terrible cook!)
- I feel so spoiled and refreshed after such a lovely weekend with you and the family. Thanks for putting me up in your spare room and for putting up with me!
- Thank you for hosting my baby shower/party in your home, it was a wonderful afternoon. I feel truly spoiled and grateful for you and all my friends and family.
Thank you messages after receiving a gift
Received a pressie that you want to say a big thank you for? These should be up your street.
- Thanks so much for [gift]. It's incredibly generous of you and I will treasure it/put it to good use.
- Thank you for my [gift]. It's beautiful, you have a knack for finding the BEST presents.
- I'm so pleased with my [gift] it's amazing! Thank you so much.
- I love my [ gift] thank you so much for thinking of me.
- You know exactly what to get me as a gift, thank you so much for my [ gift]. It's incredible.
- Thank you for making me feel so special with your thoughtful gift.
- Thanks for my [gift], I'll think of you every time I see it.
Thank you messages for your boss
Whether you're leaving your current role, have had support on your way to a promotion or just want to say thank you for all their hard work, here are a few ways to thank your boss.
If your relationship is more like a friendship this should come easy but if you're strictly professional, here are a few thank you messages to consider.
- Thank you for your tireless work and support over the years and for believing in me. I'm so excited about my next chapter but I'll never forget the lessons you've taught me.
- Thank you for being a mentor and friend. I couldn't have asked for a better teacher during my time here and wish you all the best for the future. I hope our paths cross again.
- Thank you for all the incredible opportunities you've presented me, from offering me my position to chances to prove myself with additional responsibilities. I'll take what I've learned with me and hope that we get to work together again someday.
- Every day has been a pleasure working with you, thank you for always having my back and for supporting me.
- You've created something incredible in our team and every day I'm grateful to be part of it. Thank you for all your hard work and support.
Thank you for your help messages
If someone has helped you, whether it be a physical act such as moving boxes to your new house or spending their free time offering guidance on a personal issue, a thank you is specially due.
- Thanks for pitching in and getting us through such a busy day! We'd have struggled without you!
- There's no such thing as a random act of kindness, everything you do is thoughtful and brilliant. Thank you for being there for me and helping me.
- Thank you for brightening up my day and helping me through that tough DIY project! Without your expertise, I'd have been lost.
- I can't ever thank you enough for how you've helped me but I hope this is a start.
- Thank you for going out of your way to help me, your kindness didn't go unnoticed and I'm so grateful I had you to support me.
- Thanks for watching the dogs this weekend! They seem to have had lots of fun/non-stop snoozing since.
Thank you messages to send wedding guests
There's nothing quite like a wedding to confirm how loved you are. If you have been fortunate enough to be showered with gifts then it's a good idea to take some time to thank each person individually with a card. Try out these thank you messages and be sure to personalise them for each guest who celebrated with you on your big day.
- Thank you for joining us on our special day or for your incredible gift. [ reason why you love the gift/how you'll use it]. Can't wait to see you again soon.
- Thank you for travelling to celebrate our wedding day with us! And thank you so much for your lovely gift.
- We couldn't have imagined our special day without you! Thank you for being a part of it and for your generous gift.
- We still can't believe how generous our friends and family have been. Thank you for celebrating our wedding day with us and for your lovely gifts.
Going to a wedding and want to wish them well and say thanks for the invite? Take a look at our guide on what to write in a wedding card
Thank you for housesitting or pet sitting
Did they mind your precious Moggie? Or stopped the plants dying? Time to say thanks for all their efforts, especially if they’ve been wielding a pooper scooper.
- Thank you so much for look after [pet’s name]. They miss you already!
- Thank you superstar pet sitter, what would be do without you?
- A great big thank you for look after our great big fluffy creature.
- Thanks so much for minding the house, it gave us such peace of mind.
- Cheers for taking on the housesitting job! Hope the plants didn’t give you much trouble. Thanks again.
- Merci beaucoup! = Thank you very much! (French)
- Muchas gracias = Thank you very much (Spanish)
- Grazie millie = Thank you very much (Italian)
- Danke = Thanks (German)
- Tak skal du have = Thanks a lot (Danish)
Flowers that mean thank you
Let a bright and beautiful bouquet do the talking for you. Different flowers have different meanings and plenty are said to represent feelings of gratitude. There's no real wrong choice when it comes to flowers – you could simply choose their favourite bloom to say thank you. For now though, here are some of the best thank you flowers to consider.
Always pretty in pink roses are the perfect choice for a thank you gift. Pink roses are said to represent gratitude, admiration and appreciation – all the things you want to convey when you say thank you.
An elegant and always beautiful hydrangea plant or cutting in a bouquet is the perfect gift to say thank you with. Hydrangeas are believed to represent being understood and heartfelt appreciation, so are the perfect flower if you're saying thank you to a friend or someone who has supported you during a tough time.
These bursts of sunshine should make anyone smile and are a popular choice for those looking for a flower that says thank you. It's said that yellow tulips mean happiness, hope and cheerfulness so you can surprise them with a bunch of these beauties as a thanks for making you smile.