The bells are jingling, the house is covered in glitter and The Pogues are on every radio station. It must be Christmas. And, just to top things off, cards are flooding in.
Whether you're a fan of Christmas cards or not you'll probably be sending one or two to your close family and friends, at least. Because let's be honest, it would be rude-olf (sorry) you not to.
The questions is…what to the put in them? A classic ‘merry Christmas’? Some sort of Christmas rhyme? How do you make sure your message makes them feel merry? Well, we’re here to help with our bumper guide that features everything from funny Christmas quotes to Christmas wishes for friends and loved ones.
Before we plunge into the festive fun, let’s have a quick look at some top tips for writing a great Christmas message.
- Write from the heart. Don’t worry about being Shakespeare, just say what you feel in the simplest way.
- It’s the time of year for fun and puns. With all the glitter and tinsel about we think tolerance for a bit of cheesy humour increases, so don’t be afraid of a bit of wordplay (there’s lot below for inspiration).
- The same going for sentimentality. Christmas is a time to pull your loved ones close, so it’s okay to be a little mushy in your message.
- Don’t write 100 Christmas cards in one go! You’ll be exhausted from all the merriment and your messages might start to sound a little repetitive…
Classic Christmas messages
From festive quotes to caring words, these messages are perfect for friends or family in the run-up to Christmas. Get your best pen ready!
- It's the most wonderful time of the year!
- It's easy to get lost in the flurry of activity during Christmas time. May you get chance to take in the beauty and true meaning of the season and have a Merry Christmas!
- ‘Tis the season to be jolly!
- Have yourself a Merry little Christmas, let your heart be light.
- May this Christmas season bring you closer to all those that you treasure in your heart. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New year!
- I hope Santa is good to you this year because you only deserve the best. Merry Christmas from our family to yours.
- Take nothing for granted and be thankful that you have such great family and friends to spend this joyous season with. Wishing you a delightful Christmas.
- Wishing you and your family health, happiness, peace and prosperity this Christmas and in the coming New Year.
Short Christmas wishes
- Well here it is merry Christmas!
- Let’s get very merry
- Have the best Christmas ever
- Let’s rock around the Christmas tree
- Can’t wait to deck the halls with you
Funny Christmas messages
Have a friend who appreciates a cheesy festive joke or two? Then we have some funny Christmas wishes here which add a little merriment to proceedings.
- Yule always be my favourite.
- Why did Santa quit smoking? Because it was bad for his elf.
- Christmas is a very spiritual time - In your case vodka, gin and whisky
- appreciated and loved.
- Yay! It's Christmas! Let's buy loads of stuff no one needs!
- Whoever said 'all is calm' has never been to our house around Christmas. Some might say we're not very bright, either.
- I only got you a card in case you got me one...
- You can tell a lot about a person by the way they handle three things: a rainy day, lost luggage and tangled Christmas tree lights.
- I hope you like the present you told me to buy for you.
Cute Christmas wishes
The most is twinkly, your message can be too! Go extra cute this season with these lovely messages.
- You’re my Christmas angel
- You’re always on my nice list you wonderful human
- Who needs presents when I’ve got you!?
- You bring me so many tidings of comfort and joy, merry Christmas, I love you!
- You make me feel merrier than any mulled wine, can’t wait to have some festive fun with you!
Merry Christmas messages to friends
This is your time to throw in a little inside joke between friends - don't miss the chance. Here are some of our favourite Christmassy messages for inspiration.
- Looking forward to catching up in the New Year...in person.
- I'm so grateful for a friend like you, at Christmas and all year.
- I bet yule be drunk this Christmas!
- I hope your Christmas is as wonderful as you are.
- Your friendship and your love is the best Christmas gift that I've ever received.
- This is the message of Christmas: We are never alone.
Christmas wishes for family
Family Christmas cards are great for sending to the relatives you won't get a chance to see during the season – so let's get the message right and be a little... Santa-mental (sorry again).
he best present one can hope for this year is to spend time together. I can't wait to celebrate Christmas with you.
What can be better than opening presents, eating food and singing Christmas music? Doing all those things with family like you.
Best wishes to you and your family this Christmas. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Christmas wishes for a colleague
- Can’t wait to annoy you with Christmas songs in the office all day long! Don’t you love the festive season?
- Happy Christmas to the best work buddy going
- Time to embarrass ourselves at the Christmas party!
- Thanks for all your hard work this year, have a brilliant and relaxing festive season, my love to your family
- Tidings of comfort and joy to my favourite teammate, have a great one.
Christmas wishes for a teacher
- Have a relaxing break to the best teacher ever.
- Hope Santa brings you lots of wine and chocolate, have a relaxing festive season.
- Thanks for keeping an eye on my little elf, have a very merry Christmas.
- Forget Santa, you’re the one who brings all the Christmas joy to the little ones! Thanks so much for all you do.
Christmas wishes for your partner
Whether it’s a Christmas message for your boyfriend or girlfriend, or for your long-suffering husband or wife, rekindle the love this season with these sweet messages.
- I think you're fab-yule-lous!
- Meet me under the mistletoe...
- Your love is the best gift I could have asked for! Merry Christmas sweetheart!
- I wouldn't want to spend Christmas with anyone else.
- Our life together just keeps getting better. I'm so grateful that I can share my Christmas with you.
- I'd eat brussel sprouts for you.
- There's only one thing better than Christmas and that's Christmas with you.
- You're the partridge to my pear tree.
- I love you from my head to my mistletoe.
- If I only had one mince pie I'd give it to you.